Re: Minutes of the Board meeting of October 29th, 2013

On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Alexandre Franke
<alexandre franke gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM, Richard Stallman <rms gnu org> wrote:
Why would we want it to communicate "Distinguish this from GNOME"?  I
won't say there can't be any such reason, but I don't see that there
is one.  I haven't seen any discussion about this in the current
thread.  Does anyone see a reason for this?

Do the Ubuntu GNOME maintainers ship all the upstream GNOME pieces or
are some of them replaced with distribution specific ones? E.g. are
they shipping GNOME Online Accounts or Ubuntu Online Accounts?

13.10 includes GNOME Online Accounts, Evolution, Empathy and most of
the core components. Gnumeric and such have been replaced with
LibreOffice for obvious reasons, as has Web with Firefox, but most of
GNOME's other applications are installed by default.

I can't see any possible reason for wanting to it communicate "This is
Ubuntu's GNOME".  What good does that do us or our cause?  None that
I can see.

If they are replacing upstream pieces with distribution ones, we may
not want that new set to be seen as GNOME because users might be led
into believing some issues they encounter come from our software when
that might not be the case.

Its this sort of reasoning which drives many people away from GNOME.
Because people aren't using 100% of GNOME's software, we often seem
intent on driving them out of the project. Just because you aren't
running Fedora doesn't mean you aren't using GNOME.

--
Alexandre Franke