Re: Extending the call for candidates (was Re: Withdrawal of board of idrectors candidacy)

On Sat, 2013-05-25 at 15:23 -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
My point about the candidates this time
    being really strong is that I think there were a few people who were
    thinking of running but who decided not to run against the people who had
    already put themselves forward.

That is unfortunate.  The members ought to have the choice.

I used to have the same concern.  Even more, the first time I ran was
for this specific reason; which now seems unreasonable to me.

I think it is nice to have a choice for this specific purpose, but it is
not mandatory.  Delaying the process is not going to make people more
exciting to participate, and people already running have enough interest
to participate that it is ok for me.

[...]
How can we encourage people to nominate themselves earlier?

IMHO, for many people is not clear what the board of directors does and
its limitations.  Neither what it should be expected for a director nor
what could be done that would be impossible otherwise.

To give you an idea: among the proposals, I think there are several of
them that could be done without being a director.  I bet some candidates
think the same.

IMHO, for contributors who have not been in the board is hard to run for
the first time and have a solid proposal (or even have a proposal at
all).

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/