Re: Extending the call for candidates (was Re: Withdrawal of board of idrectors candidacy)

On Thu, May 23, 2013 4:57 pm, Richard Stallman wrote:
It is not a good thing when there are so few candidates
that nearly all have to be elected.  With just 8 candidates
and a 7-member board, we are only voting about which single
one of these candidate not to put on the board.  That is getting
pretty close to no choice at all.  What would we do if there were
only 7 candidates?  If there were only 6?

I think in the instance that there are not enough candidates to elect, the
empty spots would be treated as vacancies under the bylaws. I'd need to
check, but I think then the directors in office can fill the remaining
spots.

That said, I don't think that we are near that position at this point that
we really need to worry about it. My point about the candidates this time
being really strong is that I think there were a few people who were
thinking of running but who decided not to run against the people who had
already put themselves forward.

I propose changing the election rules for future elections so that if
the number of candidates is less than 7/4 the size of the board, there
will be another request for candidates, giving 5 days for people to
step forward.

I don't object to this change, but I worry about the wait and see attitude
it could encourage for people who might be more timid about running. I
don't like the idea of two waves of nominations if we could avoid it, and
if only 7 people throw their hats in the ring, if they are solid
candidates I don't think there's a problem with that. As I was saying
above, I think there's been some self selection this time.

karen

If that squeezes the subsequent step, then expand it
by moving all the previous dates 5 days earlier.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation