Extending the call for candidates (was Re: Withdrawal of board of idrectors candidacy)

On 05/21/2013 10:46 PM, Karen Sandler wrote:
On Tue, May 21, 2013 1:14 pm, Richard Stallman wrote:
The number of candidates so far is pretty small -- I saw only 8 -- so
we will not have much choice in our voting.

On general principles, and not as criticism of the people who have
already stepped into the race, I think it would be good for more
people to run.  I encourage you, and everyone who has already run, to
stay in the race.

I am pleased to say that the candidates we already have are *all*
exceptionally strong.  I feel that I should point out that there are one
or two people who would probably join the race as well if we extended the
deadline. As I said, though, the current candidates are pretty awesome and
they all got their announcements in on time :)

True, but the announcement period this time was shorter. In 2012, the
announcement went out 17 April with a deadline of 20 May. [1] This time,
the announcement went out 6 May with a deadline of 19 May. [2] Given
Richard's observation that we have a lack of choice combined with the
shorter announcement period, I wonder if it would be worth extending the
call for candidates for, say, another week.

Take care.
--joanie

[1] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2012-April/msg00015.html
[2] https://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2013-May/msg00032.html