Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

On 24/02/10 10:11, Murray Cumming wrote:
On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 09:03 +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
At some point you have to clean up your code base, that's been the
case
in every project I have worked on. I don't think it is a bad thing
that
GTK+ is released just "more cleaned up", but others disagree and want
3.0 to have x, y and z major new features.

The problem is that you'll need another ABI break to do major
refactoring. GSEAL() alone won't be enough, even if it's an initial part
of it. GSEAL should be part of refactoring, not a reason to release.

I think it is important to do releases when you have progress in the project not just because you have some new shiny feature to give to people. For 3.0 I can see why you want to have *something* more than a cleaner code base of course but I quite like the idea of a GTK+ which feels much more solid. I suppose this comes down to if you think 3.0 should have the sort of changes 1.x->2.x had or not?

Now you've done the GSEAL() work then we could do bigger work in a
branch before releasing an ABI breaking release (as stable) that gives
people nothing but the expectation of another future ABI break, meaning
that it won't be used much anyway.

Of course. But an ABI break is always better than an API break and if recompiling is all that's really needed, the effort by the developer linking with GTK+ is really quite minimal (compared to the 1.x->2.x work that was required when I ported all my apps back then).

--
Regards,
Martyn