Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

Hi,

Martyn Russell wrote:
> On 22/02/10 19:27, Dave Neary wrote:
>> Have we lost the mobile battle? It certainly appears that GTK+ has lost
>> the mobile battle,
>
> I don't think that's so true. Just because Nokia decided to buy
> Trolltech because it could be bought, doesn't mean the rest of the world
> agrees.

Well, not just Maemo/Nokia. MeeGo, for example, uses Qt as the preferred
toolkit, although GTK+ and Clutter will remain as supported platform
components; moblin2's interface was primarily Clutter based, from what I
can tell; OpenMoko moved away from GTK+ toward Qt & Enlightenment during
their self-destruction; Android is not based on anything GTK+-like.

GTK+ is hanging in there in the LiMo stack, though.

Are there any in-production to-be-continued GTK+-based software
platforms out there besides ALP and Samsung's LiMo phones?

Dare I say that the developer engagement from both of those platforms
has left something to be desired - and the "good citizens" of mobile
GTK+ (Nokia & Intel) appear to be moving away from the toolkit as a core
component of the platform.

Objectively, the number of companies interested in GTK+ on mobile
appears to be decreasing from the very promising situation we found
ourselves in 5 to 6 years ago.

Cheers,
Dave.

--