Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

On Wed, 2010-02-24 at 09:03 +0000, Martyn Russell wrote:
> At some point you have to clean up your code base, that's been the
> case
> in every project I have worked on. I don't think it is a bad thing
> that
> GTK+ is released just "more cleaned up", but others disagree and want
> 3.0 to have x, y and z major new features.

The problem is that you'll need another ABI break to do major
refactoring. GSEAL() alone won't be enough, even if it's an initial part
of it. GSEAL should be part of refactoring, not a reason to release.

Now you've done the GSEAL() work then we could do bigger work in a
branch before releasing an ABI breaking release (as stable) that gives
people nothing but the expectation of another future ABI break, meaning
that it won't be used much anyway.

murrayc murrayc com