Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

2010/2/23 Dave Neary <dneary gnome org>:
> Hi,
>
> Martyn Russell wrote:
>> On 22/02/10 19:27, Dave Neary wrote:
>>> Have we lost the mobile battle? It certainly appears that GTK+ has lost
>>> the mobile battle,
>>
>> I don't think that's so true. Just because Nokia decided to buy
>> Trolltech because it could be bought, doesn't mean the rest of the world
>> agrees.

> Objectively, the number of companies interested in GTK+ on mobile
> appears to be decreasing from the very promising situation we found
> ourselves in 5 to 6 years ago.

I'd like to point out something though.

As promising as the situation was, I don't think they seriously
invested in the toolkit itself AFACT, during all this years RedHat
(through mclasen and alexl) and individual contributors on their spare
time have been the only ones doing a serious investment in the
toolkit. There was never a full time maintainer dedicated to make sure
that GTK+ was moving forward to support those mobile platforms (and to
help mclasen on the hard task of reviewing patches and making releases
for both GLib and GTK+). To be honest, I don't think that's the kind
of interest we expected.

I often hear complaints about how the RedHat guys turn down patches
from other contributors (mostly from members of companies competing
with them), but I yet have to see any of those companies investing
some of their resources on helping to review all those pending patches
waiting in bugzilla and making sure they have a way to get their own
patches upstream.

My bottom line is that I don't think that in reality the MeeGo news
are going to make any difference to GTK+ (I do wonder, however, what
are Intel plans on Clutter long term wise)

--
Un saludo,
Alberto Ruiz