Re: GNOME: lack of strategic roadmap

On 23/02/10 12:36, Alberto Ruiz wrote:
2010/2/23 Dave Neary<dneary gnome org>:
I'd like to point out something though.

As promising as the situation was, I don't think they seriously
invested in the toolkit itself AFACT, during all this years RedHat
(through mclasen and alexl) and individual contributors on their spare
time have been the only ones doing a serious investment in the
toolkit. There was never a full time maintainer dedicated to make sure
that GTK+ was moving forward to support those mobile platforms (and to
help mclasen on the hard task of reviewing patches and making releases
for both GLib and GTK+). To be honest, I don't think that's the kind
of interest we expected.

Actually, Nokia invested quite heavily in GTK+. Imendio/Lanedo had more developers than Red Hat working on it full time over the past years (I could be wrong here). We had Mitch, Kris, Tim, Sven and some work from others at times in the company (this doesn't include personal time involvement which we have recently seen a great deal of from people like Carlos Garnacho on the MPX branch).

I often hear complaints about how the RedHat guys turn down patches
from other contributors (mostly from members of companies competing
with them), but I yet have to see any of those companies investing
some of their resources on helping to review all those pending patches
waiting in bugzilla and making sure they have a way to get their own
patches upstream.

Actually, I think that the Red Hat maintainers of the toolkit had an interest in stability (for ISVs) and that stifled development. As such developing anything in GTK+ takes a lot longer than it should and that's why it is always hard to get into development there or to fix something. This has long been the internal politic of GTK+.

I am perhaps not the best person to comment here, Tim for example, has had much more personal and professional involvement in the toolkit and is much better to make comment on this. My view here is just from a very casual contributor watching over a number of years in a company that has GTK+ expertise.

My bottom line is that I don't think that in reality the MeeGo news
are going to make any difference to GTK+ (I do wonder, however, what
are Intel plans on Clutter long term wise)

I don't either. There are a lot of companies using it internally that never tell public communities about its use of GTK+. British Telecom is one of them. I remember when Owen was setting up the projects page for gtk.org and I wanted to submit our use cases back then, but internally they didn't want to make it public in case customers were worried about the fact that we were using "open source".

There are thousands of applications using GTK+ too, let's not forget that, what are they going to move to instead if they don't use GTK+?

I also thought that Andrew Savory's point was incredibly pertinent.

As a company we do receive requests for GTK+ support, so I don't think it is fair to say that GTK+ is dead.

--
Regards,
Martyn