Re: New GNOME Foundation Members

Hi,

Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 15:02 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
>> Just to point out that the process for becoming a foundation member is
>> already quite intimidating -
>
> OTOH we've had complaints about that we should clean up the membership
> list (remove old inactive members, I recall that came from you). So
> apparently the existing base wants some sort of quality? Fair enough.

You're mixing up things.

I think I mentioned, in the context of planet GNOME maintenance,
removing the blogs of people who have somehow "left" GNOME. On another
occasion I also mentioned that GNOME has had considerable turnover and
we might want to ask ourselves why - which of those are you thinking of?

The membership committee already has a renewal process built in -
members are supposed to renew every 2 years (although now that I think
of it, I don't remember the last time I got that). Typically, people
only tend to look when elections are coming up whether they're still a
member or not.

> I also don't think that introducing yourself is asking too much. It
> feels natural to me to expect that from a new member, to be honest.

I see it as similar to bringing a new person into a club, or taking a
date to a party.

You don't expect the new person to make the effort to present themselves
to everyone, the host introduces them and breaks the ice, or the
existing members come over & say hi. What you're asking is the
equivalent of going up to someone in a party & saying "so, who're you
then?" Isn't it more natural for someone to say "Hi everybody, this is
Gladys, she's just moved here from Tijuana, where she ran a very
successful drug smuggling and illegal immigration business. Let's show
her a big welcome tonight, okay?"

> Yeah, that sounds fine to me too. But then I would propose to require
> filling in this field.

It is already compulsory.

Cheers,
Dave.