Re: New GNOME Foundation Members

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 15:02 +0100, Dave Neary wrote:
> Philip Van Hoof wrote:
> > Okay, that's easy to solve.
> >
> > We just make it a requirement for becoming a foundation member. And we
> > document this requirement on the live pages and in a welcome mail.
> >
> > If they don't introduce themselves, we just unmember them a few days
> > later.
> >
> > I'm guessing the foundation board can make a decision about this?  It
> > doesn't sound to me like something we need to do a vote on ;)
>
> Just to point out that the process for becoming a foundation member is
> already quite intimidating -

OTOH we've had complaints about that we should clean up the membership
list (remove old inactive members, I recall that came from you). So
apparently the existing base wants some sort of quality? Fair enough.

I also don't think that introducing yourself is asking too much. It
feels natural to me to expect that from a new member, to be honest.

Membership does come with services, having to briefly present yourself
is a small price to pay for that.

If becoming a foundation member is intimidating, then we should try to
find out why. We shouldn't avoid adding reasonable new requirements.

In my opinion can clear requirements (that count for everybody) make
things less intimidating. Whereas vagueness is counterproductive here.

Clarity works.

> one has to ask, suggest people who can give
> "references", give reasons why one is worthy to join the club, and often
> wait weeks or months for any reaction. Often the reaction is "your
> references haven't gotten back to us". We also don't hear about the
> people who hear back "sorry, you haven't proven yourself yet, try again
> later".
>
> People joining the foundation have already included a lot of information
> in their application - Ruben's suggestion that that be included in the
> welcome mail is a reasonable one.

Yeah, that sounds fine to me too. But then I would propose to require
filling in this field.

Cheers,

Philip

home: me at pvanhoof dot be