Re: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2009

Some good jokes in this thread this morning :).

On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 13:33 +0200, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> Seriously, I went once to a ski resort, and some doctors conference was
> taking place in a hotel there, and I really think it would be a great
> thing for hackfests (maybe not for a big conference like GUADEC or the
> Summit), but getting the right people together in a similar place might
> be much more productive than getting them on a big city, in separated
> hotels, and no sport activities at all :-) Getting 15/20 people together
> in a hotel, for some skiing during the morning, and talks and hacking in
> the afternoon / evening could be a good way of organising hackfests

Foundation would be happy to do that for hackfests, yes.  We are still
waiting for proposals.  Go ahead!  I'd say keeping hackfests to less
than 10 people will be even more productive.

When David Bolter, Ben Konrath, and myself met last Summer here in
Toronto to discuss the a11y summit, we all agreed that we can hold a
very decent and great hackfest for 10 people in cottages two hours drive
from Toronto for less than $2000 for accommodation for a week, including
both weekends.  Compare that to hotels...  Add car rentals and food and
you're still much below what hotels would cost.  And I'm talking about
cottages by gorgeous lakes, with kayaking and canoeing options.  So
yeah, go ahead and propose...

The accommodation sharing works even for busy locations like Berlin, but
the bigger the group gets the harder it is to find suitable offerings
and this is a lesson we learned the hard way during the GTK+ Hackfest
last month.  Now I have to go finish that hackfest report... will be
back.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/