Re: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2009

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 14:43 -0400, Hubert Figuiere wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 14:03 -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> >
> > Except that we have been advertising it as "GUADEC, The GNOME
> > Conference" for the past couple of years.  Maybe we should make that
> > official.
> >
> > About GUADEC out of Europe, that's fine as long as the place is Ok for
> > travel.  Bangalore has the same problem that US has.  Too far...  That
> > said, I love to see GUADEC '11 in Morocco for example...
>
> The thing is that so far, having it in Europe makes it more for European
> people given the price of airfare. Note also that Summer is probably the
> worst period to get cheaper travel, so all in all it seems to be made to
> prevent people out of Europe from attending en masse [1].

Not true.  Travel finances should not be a decision factor for any
regular GNOME contributor.  A big bulk of GUADEC money is spent on
sponsorship, and the truth is that if the regular contributors don't
apply for it, people will end up getting the money that don't have much
to do with GNOME other than wanting to go to a week of paid-for
vacation...

> Given that a choice has to be made, I think it would be fair to try to
> alternate between the various parts of the world. LGM seems to be doing
> that.
>
> Hub
>
> [1] the total reluctance for prominent members to reject any alternative
> just make me thinks that's what it is. If you don't believe me, re-read
> this thread and the one from last year when somebody ask "why not
> canada".

As for me, the reason not pushing for Canada is that a GNOME community
in Canada is surprisingly non-existent.  Sure, there's you, me, and
desrt.  But that's pretty much it.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/