Re: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2009

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 01:24:06PM -0400, Behdad Esfahbod wrote:
> There are two main issues with having GUADEC in the US:
>
>   - The Big Pond.  It's just more travel to fly everyone to the US.
>
>   - US visa.  It's a real issue.  It's not a predictable and fast
> process like most European countries are.  It literally takes months to
> get a US visa for those of us that need one.  And many people going to
> GUADEC need one.
>
> For those reasons, I don't think having GUADEC in the US is practical as
> of now.  Things of course may change in the future.

Here's something I think might be useful:

If we had a list of where everyone attending aKademy and GUADEC will
come from (which might be decently approximated by seeing where they
came from last year), we can then make a list of places:

 * which are closest to each one, and
 * which don't require onerous visa applications for each one.

For example, if we find that most attenders are within the Schengen
area, obviously it makes most sense to want to have the conference
within the Schengen area too.

Is the rule about having GUADEC in Europe rather than, say, in Bangalore
still in play, by the way?

Thomas Thurman, tthurman at gnome, http://blogs.gnome.org/tthurman
In Narrow Corridor