Re: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2009

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 17:36 -0400, Claudio Saavedra wrote:
> What I would like to see is proposals to host GUADEC in other places of
> the world to be considered. There may be a bias to prefer European
> locations because it's more practical, that seems reasonable; but at
> some point someone could appear with an amazing proposal at a great
> non-european location that would make everyone say "wow.. we have to do
> it there!". I currently don't like the fact that no one can even
> consider working in such a proposal.

I agree with this.  I guess I would like the official foundation policy
on this to be:

        "It's cheaper to hold it in Europe, but if you've got a great
        location and tons of funding, we're willing to have it
        anywhere."

Limit the location based on the ability of the organizing committee to
come up with a proposal for getting everyone there rather than where it
has been before.

Now, that should include other practical things like Visas I agree, but
that wasn't as much fun to write in a slogan :)

		--Ted