Re: Call for hosts for GUADEC 2009

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 15:26 -0700, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 17:36 -0400, Claudio Saavedra wrote:
> > What I would like to see is proposals to host GUADEC in other places of
> > the world to be considered. There may be a bias to prefer European
> > locations because it's more practical, that seems reasonable; but at
> > some point someone could appear with an amazing proposal at a great
> > non-european location that would make everyone say "wow.. we have to do
> > it there!". I currently don't like the fact that no one can even
> > consider working in such a proposal.
>
> I agree with this.  I guess I would like the official foundation policy
> on this to be:
>
>         "It's cheaper to hold it in Europe, but if you've got a great
>         location and tons of funding, we're willing to have it
>         anywhere."
>
> Limit the location based on the ability of the organizing committee to
> come up with a proposal for getting everyone there rather than where it
> has been before.
>
> Now, that should include other practical things like Visas I agree, but
> that wasn't as much fun to write in a slogan :)

This is pretty much what I tried to say when I said for example Morocco
would make for a good bid, because it has the closeness advantage of
most European locations.

Anyway, I suggest people go back to writing bids, or hacking, and trust
their board's judgment and common sense.  Note that all bids will be
presented to membership for comment.  If someone is interested in
writing a bid but is not sure if it's worth the try, I suggest they
contact board@, instead of posting here.

--
behdad
http://behdad.org/