Re: Regarding OOXML and Microsoft patents

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 03:37:06PM -0400, Miguel de Icaza wrote:
> Hello,

> > > 	Can you tell me how ODF lays out paragraphs or does line-breaking or
> > > wraps text to shaped embedded objects or ... ?
> >
> > Nothing in OOXML spec explains how Word95 does autospace, so how can a
> > full implementation of OOXML respect that tag's meaning?
>
> The topic is addressed here:
>
> http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2007/01/09/specifying-the-document-settings.aspx

"Use OpenOffice.org 1.1 line spacing" this argument is funny, and was
addressed at the Portuguese Technical Commission.

There is an essential difference between
SecretRuleYouCan'tKnowOfProductFuBar and
UnderSpecifiedRuleYouCanReadSourceCodeToCompleteKnowledge

> And it addresses in particular the issue of whether it should be removed
> or not.

Nice, just another repeatition the argument of "legacy". What about
KWord? Can it support legacy formats, or is legacy only for Microsoft?

If it's only for Microsoft (since KWord most definitely can't do it),
then how can it be part of an open standard?

> Of course this is my position on technical merits, others implementors
> might have other views.   On political and activist grounds you might
> also reach different conclusions, but I will find it difficult in the
> future to say with a straight face in court "well, they did not specify
> enough, so this format created lock-in".
>
> > Specially from people who work for a company that is strategically
> > aligned with Microsoft.
>
> Ah, the old guilt by association way of constructing a logical argument.
> Always a fine choice.

Well, pot, meet kettle. However, you are the one who said almost word
for word what another Microsoft employee said at the Portuguese Meeting.

It's fortunate that he didn't speak Portuguese, this is how I could tell
you used almost word for word what he said. Do they give lectures on how
to answer? I'm curious :)

Rui

--
Frink!
Today is Setting Orange, the 59th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3173
+ So let's do it...?