Re: Re-considering expectnation web service

On Dec 29, 2007 8:53 PM, Quim Gil <qgil gnome org> wrote:
> On 12/29/07, Edd Dumbill <edd expectnation com> wrote:
> > It's all proprietary right now. Open sourcing is a possibility for the
> > future, but it's not likely to happen in 2008.
>
> Is expectnation then more or less as proprietary as the software
> powering Sourceforge, Launchpad, the Google or Yahoo! services? Fine
> with me,

As stated by Edd _it is proprietary_ right now.

> specially if it's good and by using it we might be helping
> Edd getting a sustainable business model and eventually opensourcing
> it.

Shouldn't that be the other way around? First the product should be
open and then Gnome should adopt it and help Edd with the business.

> GUADEC organizers need to concentrate in the event organization and
> the content and communication. This is complex enough. Developing
> conference software is out of scope. The website itself shouldn't
> bring much time nor hassle.

While for sure the event organization is complex, Gnome is all about
free software isn't it?

Edd wrote:
> if Expectnation
> settles on a business model that will accommodate our code being open
> sourced, we'd love to do that.

I guess Gnome people would love it as well and probably use the
service without any doubt.

As Jeff said it would be akward (I would say a shame instead) to use
non-Free software where Free software can
be used.

just my 0.02€

cheers
--