Re: Re-considering expectnation web service

On 29 Dec 2007, at 17:16, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:

alarms with FUD seekers.  A question I have is, is Edd's stuff all
proprietary or is it Open Source code in which he provides a service
over (i.e. Source Forge like)?  If that was the case I wouldn't even
mind paying for Edd's services.

It's all proprietary right now. Open sourcing is a possibility for the future, but it's not likely to happen in 2008. If you like what you see this year, it's definitely a conversation to have. I'd hate to see the foundation waste time on reimplementing what we've got, and there might be avenues to explore; and if Expectnation settles on a business model that will accommodate our code being open sourced, we'd love to do that.

I do believe passionately in open access to your own data. Baris already mentioned our baseline pledge to give all your data back, and furthermore this year we're building out our API and interface points. GUADEC could well provide useful motivation and use cases for data exports, etc.

For what it's worth, OSCON will be using Expectnation this year.

As I've said to Ross and Baris, I don't have time to engage in argument about the use of proprietary services (despite the glaring inconsistency; do such people refuse to use Google?).

My offer stands to GNOME because it's a project I love and want to support as much as possible. But what I don't want to do is either waste buckets of time of futile argument, or otherwise damage my livelihood simply by trying to help.

And clearly, I understand the problems you face, and won't take any offence at this offer being declined either.

-- Edd

--
Edd Dumbill, Expectnation
UK: +44 208 144 9972 US: +1 (415) 315 9872

Expectnation is a trademark of and operated by Useful Information
Company Ltd, registered in England 05834712. Registered office: 78
York Street, London, W1H 1DP, UK. VAT No. GB 888 9628 32.