Re: Temporaray enlargement of the GNOME Board with 3 persons

On 6/5/06, David Neary <dneary free fr> wrote:

Hi,

Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
> So, the board can decide how many people it wants to have elected and
> then it can add an arbitrary number of additional members after the
> election. Why do we have elections in the first place?

The board must have at least 7 people. Aside from that, your summary is
correct. But then, we're supposed to trust our board members at election
time - that's why we vote for them, isn't it? :)

Seriously - the board will not abuse this, but co-opting members onto
the board to handle workload is a common occurrence - as is setting up
empowered sub-committees.

Would the board lose anything by creating an empowered sub-committee
here specifically consisting of Behdad and German?  That would seem to
quell most of the problems people have voiced against the proposal,
and perhaps still allow all the same stuff to get done.  I'm thinking
here of the analogy to the release team -- the board formed the
release-team (and still has oversight of it, if necessary), yet
release-team members (assuming they are not also board members) have
no board powers other than the release-team tasks they have been
delegated to handle.  I could be wrong, but judging from the comments
so far, I believe that handles the delegation many people want to see.