Re: Temporaray enlargement of the GNOME Board with 3 persons

On Mon, 2006-05-06 at 13:21 -0400, Dominic Lachowicz wrote:
> > Well, I think it should be three people.  Those two guys, and me :)
> >
> > Seriously though, you can't arbitrarilly pick two people and not expect
> > everyone else to be arbitrarilly picked.
>
> It doesn't seem to be entirely arbitrary. The 3 "appointees" were the
> next 3 highest vote-getters in the 2005 elections.

In other words, they lost the election.

> http://foundation.gnome.org/vote/results.php?election_id=2
>
> > candidacy statement for the next election.  But, they can't be members of
> > the board without an election.
>
> The Foundation's charter apparently says (in at least two places) that
> they can appoint members without an election:
>
> http://foundation.gnome.org/about/charter/
>
> "New seats on the board may be made available as the project grows,
> subject to approval by the board or referendum of the membership."
>
> "Between elections, board vacancies or new board slots shall be filled
> by appointment by the board of directors."

This is different from temporarily appointing 2 additional members. Of
course the board can add new seats, but they will then be permanent
until (again?) removed via a referendum.

Andreas

--
Andreas J. Guelzow
Pyrenean Shepherds