Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 17:53 +0300, Žygimantas Beručka wrote:

> Every other word out there sucks if one doesn't know its meaning,
> whether it's Linux, Windows, Aqua, KDE or IBM itself. Try to convince
> IBM to change its name into something similar to IntBussMach (the case
> with "fooConf"). They don't give a shit about it, the only thing that
> matters is the customers respect they earned in the past, and not the
> name. The brand doesn't matter, the thing that matters is what's
> *behind* that brand.

It depends of the target. If GUADEC is a developer only conference, then
we don't need to care much about the name.
>From my point of view, GUADEC doesn't target just developers, event if
it is a perfect place to meet and know each other.
Politics come for GUADEC, and they come with medias. And I don't think
most of developers are that interested in politic matters.

It means that GUADEC is far to be just a developer event.

> If I understand correctly, the "GNOME" itself sucks. Average Joe doesn't
> know what "GNU Network Object Model Environment" is, "KDE" makes more
> sense in this case, since it stands for "K _Desktop Environment_".

I don't see the problem with the GNOME name. Windows was already taken,
and Doors isn't that sexy.

> I'm for keeping "GUADEC" as it is, if we are going to change it we
> actually will HAVE to do the same with "GNOME", because it matches the
> same criteria, and is even worse, since GUADEC is easier to explain.

I don't know. GNOME is going more and more popular, far from days when
only curious developers knew it.
By getting more and more popular, it means that local people (not
developers) can be interested in going to a gnome conference. People
working for goverments or companies deploying Gnome can be either.
Then, in that case, GUADEC name isn't that good.

> Sorry, but I fail to see the 3rd part of the well known plan model:
>
> 	1. Change GUADEC to GConf, GNOMF or whatever.
> 	2. ... ?
> 	3. Profit!

???