Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

On Tue, September 6, 2005 12:09, Murray Cumming wrote:
>> I think it will, because it'll be clear that it's a conference. It'll be
>> easier for the press to write, too.
>
> Yes, GnomeCon, or such like, would be more straightforward.

Let's try another question: who are the new people we want to see? People
who know GNOME? People who don't know GNOME? If they don't know GNOME,
GnomeCon/GConf is not clearer than GUADEC. If they know GNOME, there
are some chances they will learn about GUADEC being a GNOME thing, aren't
they?

Changing the name because GUADEC is not clear enough when it's written in
articles/newspapers/etc is not a good reason: do you reall think a
journalist will write "The GnomeCon/GConf/GUADEC will happen on...". I do
think he will write "The GnomeCon/GConf/GUADEC, a conference about the
free software desktop GNOME, will happen on...".

Also, it seems the main idea is to change the name so that the new name
shows that it's an event. In what context can we see GUADEC without any
reference to the fact that it's an event?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.