Re: Changing the name of GUADEC

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 02:08:04PM +0200, Dave Neary wrote:
> There is no name recognition. GUADEC has no brand value. Changing it
> will help sponsorship, not hurt it. No-one outside the geek community
> likes the meaningless acronym tho,ng. It's *so* 1990s, already.

  So let's change GNOME first, by that logic it's the most urgent item
then the name for the conference should follow !

  Content of the conference/project is what matters, the name is just
a semi arbitrary token used to designate the think. Changing the name
won't get the cash and developpers pourring in, changing the content or
the way we do thing would. The only significant reason to change an
established name is if that name carry more negative than its brand value,
I don't think we are at that point, but you start to argue in that sense
since people feedback is that they are not happy with the name change.

  If you want to change things at the project level discuss that frankly
and then we will see if changing names is worthwhile once there is a
consensus, but changing name for the sake of changing name is a
"no thanks!" from my viewpoint.

Daniel