Re: Changing the name of GUADEC
- From: Dave Neary <dneary free fr>
- To: Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller <uraeus linuxrising org>
- Cc: Guadec planning mailing list <guadec-planning gnome org>, Foundation-List <foundation-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Changing the name of GUADEC
- Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2005 14:08:04 +0200
Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller a �it :
So the solution is that we dump the name that a lot of people in the free software world
knows by now and instead switch to a new name...
> Building up name recognition and brand takes a lot of time.
Let's kill this excuse dead straight away. GUADEC has *no* mindshare
outside the existing GNOME developers community. Most people don't know
what it means, what it is, or who it's for.
There is no name recognition. GUADEC has no brand value. Changing it
will help sponsorship, not hurt it. No-one outside the geek community
likes the meaningless acronym tho,ng. It's *so* 1990s, already.
And lets face it, the only reason we find GConf a good option is because
of the inside joke with the name. For anyone not a core member of the
community that is lost.
I like GConf for that reason, and because it's got Conf in it, and it's
a better abbreviation for 'the GNOME Conference' than GNOMECon or
GNOME-Con(which has too many capitals) and GnomeCon violates the
religious doctrine on GNOME capitalisation.
bolsh gimp org
] [Thread Prev