Re: [Fwd: Re: Beginning of the 2005 GNOME Foundation elections]

On 11/16/05, Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow taliesin ca> wrote:
> Well, in the context of having a candidate being an essential part of
> the election committee, Dave Neary asked: "What ever happened to trust?"
>
> Apparently, in your own opinion, there are people in the foundation
> tahat are not trusted by some (and who have run for election in the
> past). So why should one trust a candidate who is also heavily involved
> in the running of the election?

Perfectly sound logic.  If that's all you had to go on, I can see how
you might have a hard time trusting him.  I don't know, maybe you don't
know him all that well and that is all you have to go on.  In
Vincent's defense:

  - Vincent has been kicking butt all over the place from the release
    team, to bugsquad, to panel development, to creating pesselus
    (sp?), to helping a lot with gnome-fr, to running the elections
    for a few years.  He does anything and everything for Gnome.

  - Vincent has not yet had time to train others on the election
    committee how to run everything.  He intends to do so quickly,
    before the elections for board of directors is held[1].  He was
    even worried about this anyway and asked for feedback.

  - Telling Vincent he can't run unless he drops the election stuff
    immediately probably means massive problems with the elections, or
    else we lose the opportunity to have him to run as a foundation
    director.  Kind of sucks to deny him such an opportunity just
    because he's been doing the thankless behind-the-scenes work in
    years past.

As always, just my $0.02.  (Someone please correct me if I've made any
mistakes in the above)

- Elijah

[1] http://mail.gnome.org/archives/foundation-list/2005-November/msg00032.html