Re: [Fwd: Re: Beginning of the 2005 GNOME Foundation elections]

Jeff,

On 11/16/05, Jeff Waugh <jdub perkypants org> wrote:
> something so fundamental to the process: Yes, people do run for election so
> that those they do not trust are not elected. Surprise? Not even remotely.

By itself, this is unsurprising. But coupled with:

1) The small number of people who have run for the board, and my
opinion of their general qualifications
and
2) These people's own admissions of "not getting anything done" and
"inability to effect change" (usually advertized in their candidacy
statements)

it's hard to view it as anyhing but insulting. "Vote for me. I haven't
gotten anything done, and I probably won't get anything done next
time. But at least I'm not $CANDIDATE" is a lousy platform. Consider
that and the fact that the board has gotten smaller so that the above
class of people no longer feel compelled to run in order to keep
vagrants off the board. I personally read the recent referendum as
"Let's make the board smaller so that the seat-fillers can leave,
rather than let other qualified people try their hand at it."

Yes, this is how democracy works. Surprising? No. But all the same, I
won't begrudge Andreas' gripings. His is a small complaint when
compared to the big middle finger given by some who have run in the
past...

Best,
Dom