Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimity! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

уторак, 16. септембар 2003. 20:38:22 CEST — Aleksey Sanin написа:

However, non-voted John Smith might open these two pages and look at
them. But unless he would bother to go and find out what was his voter id, he would never find out that there is a fraud. Now compare this with the situation today. John Smith who did not vote *might* be curious on how other people have voted. He opens the page and *immidiately* see that someone voted from his name. Not mention John's friend Jack who migh be curios why John have voted for candidate A when John always said he that he does not like candidate A.

I already said that this is not *stable* system for detecting fraud. I've even given a counter example with a same *probability* (your "might" above): "John has voted, and his friend Jack has seen that he did. So, Jack *might* be interested if anyone John voted for was elected, or if he was satisfied with the board depending on his choices." (in any case, it's just enough that Jack implicates that John has voted, exactly the same thing as in the current system).

Yeah, so if John never voted, he would find out that he was listed as if he did, so it's clear that his vote is fraudelent.

It's absolutely the *same* mechanism, at least in the sense of unreliability and informality. Just the questions are different, but all the conditions are the same:
- John and Jack must be friends (or at least, acquaintances)
- They must feel free to talk about the voting itself

It's not a mechanism for detecting fraud that I would trust, neither in the case of public vote as implemented last year, nor in the case of anonimous voting which is the point here.

Yet, I believe that this mechanism *is* sufficient for what Gnome Foundation is doing.

Please, remember that we are not talking about perfect system. Any system could be hacked and usually not in a way you might think of. The simple and open system always have benefits between a closed system with secrects and "special" people "in control".

"Freedom" and "openness" should include the freedom to express your opinion without that being held against you (in whatever minor way; if your friend is a candidate, he surely thinks he's appropriate for the job -- if you don't think so, he'll very probably be insulted even though he might not show it, and that will effect your further relations). You may not accept that this would be the case, but the opinions given on this list suggests otherwise. If there's one person who feels this way (and, as we've noticed, there are several), we've got a *benefit* for the process.

Remeber that you're not suggesting improving the system, but rather, you're suggesting keeping the system which has the exact same flaws like the new proposed one does, but without any significant benefits.

I'd really like you to try to think of the system that would solve problems you mention in the process of anonymous voting, even though you don't support the idea itself.

Cheers,
Danilo