Re: Yes to Publicity! Not to Anonimity! Was: Re: GNOME Foundation Annual Elections - proposal

Please give an EXPLICIT scenario of the proposed system where an abuse is possible in such a way where it is not possible with the system as it was done a year ago.

As far as I can understand, the board is going to vote for anonymous voting *without* presenting the actual voting scheme (at least I've not seen one published in this list). Thus I can't discuss the security of any particular scheme. But anyway, from what I am
getting one of verification step would be to publish the list of
           <voter-id> <votes>
and a list of not voted voter ids. This should prevent one from voting for people who did
not vote.

However, non-voted John Smith might open these two pages and look at them. But unless he would bother to go and find out what was his voter id, he would never find out that there is a fraud. Now compare this with the situation today. John Smith who did not vote *might* be curious on how other people have voted. He opens the page and *immidiately* see that someone voted from his name. Not mention John's friend Jack who migh be curios why John have voted for candidate A when John always said he
that he does not like candidate A.

Please, remember that we are not talking about perfect system. Any system could be hacked and usually not in a way you might think of. The simple and open system always have benefits between a closed system with secrects and "special" people
"in control".

Aleksey