Re: The timestamp thing

On Sat, 2009-11-07 at 09:49 -0500, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> How are you using patch?  You must give the patch to patch on stdin, not
> as a command line argument:
>
> $ patch ... < file.patch
>
> NOT
>
> $patch ... file.patch
>
> The latter would definitely cause your symptoms.

Ooh, facepalm. It's obviously been a while since I've had to patch
anything. Thanks for the reminder. It works now.

> There's one thing I'd point out for those of you circumventing f-spot's
> UTC manipulation and that's that when this mess is finally, officially,
> fixed, I'd hope to hell that part of the fix is for f-spot to go "fix"
> all of the manipulations it has done, or at least account for them,
> somehow in it's corrections.
>
> That will meant that those of you that have been circumventing and/or
> undoing the UTC normalization will have your timestamps warped once
> again, in the opposite direction, unless f-spot, somehow allows for the
> fact that some people have been manipulating timestamp in a way other
> than f-spot expects.

That is indeed a problem, and one that I've been expecting to run into.
I imagine most people will simply have to use F-Spot's own "Adjust Time"
to correct their whole library by the difference between localtime and
UTC wherever they are. I know that's what I've had to do on every import
ever since I enabled writing metadata to files. I definitely wouldn't
use this patch without understanding the consequences when this issue is
finally fixed properly.

I think the most important thing to do to prepare for an eventual
official fix is to ensure that timestamps in the files are all
consistent. I could foresee problems if someone where to import half
their photos without "Write Metadata" and the other half with, for
example.

Regards,

--
Steve McGrath