Re: Display bigger version of a photo on a tooltip

Michael

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 15:06 +0100, Michael Schmarck wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Steve Dobson
> <steve dobson syscall org uk> wrote:
> >  With this new advanced knowledge you come up with a way were this
> >  advanced feature could be available to a newbie from the get-go.  There
> >  is only one problem with it: it isn't advantageous to all workflows.
>
> You keep on saying that, but you never say, when it is
> not advantegeous.

Whenever you don't want to look at an enlarged thumbnail.  Does it
matter what the reason it?  There are workflows, mine for example, where
the enlarged thumbnail is counterproductive.

> >  As
> >  you admit that my workflow is just as valid as your own why should your
> >  preferences overrule mine?
>
> Same is true for the other way around.

Not if his way removes my workflow as an option.  One way is to always
zoom, another is to never zoom.  My way is to zoom on user request.  My
argument is that the user should always be in control.

> >  My solution is that this feature should be configurable, and the
> >  following four (minimum) options should be available:
>
> four? For such an option? I truely think, that this is TOO MUCH.

Really?  Which ones would you remove?  The one I placed particularly to
help the disabled?  The new one suggested by David.  The current way or
the just turn it off?  I really think that is the minimum if you're
going to put the feature under configuration control.

> What I'm interested in, is why you're opposing the feature
> request. If you just don't hover, you simply won't use the
> new feature. So what's the problem?

I'm not opposing it.  I'm just saying that it should be under user
control because there are times when it is not useful.

Steve