Re: Display bigger version of a photo on a tooltip

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 12:42 +0100, David Prieto wrote:
> Glad to have solved the misunderstanding.
>
> > The reasons for not wanting it are broadly the same, pop-up can be
> > distracting.  I tend to use F-Spot with the thumbnails quite large
> > (almost the 'v' popup size), therefore David's suggestion would not add
> > much.  I get enough detail that I can choose those photos I want to look
> > at in more detail in slideshow mode.
>
> >From my point of view having such large images on the browser detracts
> from its usability since it allows for less pictures to show up on
> screen at the same time, and therefore makes the browsing more
> difficult. That's of course just the way I see it, yours is just as
> valid.

I'm glad you see that both our F-Spot workflows are equally valid.

> > However, if I do reduce the thumbnails then David's feature becomes very
> > useful.
> >
> > But on the third hand holding down the 'v' key gives you David's
> > functionality if *and* *only* *if* you want it.  So my vote is still to
> > maintain the status quo.
>
> Yup. But, in my usercase (and my girlfriend's), the "v" key feature was not
> obvious at all, so we have been actually double-clicking photos every time we
> wanted to see them in detail and that makes me feel stupid now. Even now that
> feature doesn't feel quite right to me; maybe it's because of its appearance,
> maybe it's because of having to keep a key pressed or maybe it's from my
> experience with other apps (read Pidgin), but having a yellow tooltip appear
> when you let the cursor be is just the thing I'd expect to happen.

So what your saying is that you and your girlfriend didn't take the time
to read the documentation while you still made good use of the tool.
This speaks highly of those that coded F-Spot, they made their tool very
discoverable.

Now you have discovered an "advanced" feature which improves the way you
can use the tool and now feel "stupid" in not knowing about it from the
get-go.  That isn't stupidity your feeling, that's education.  That's
how you go from being a newbie to an advanced user.

With this new advanced knowledge you come up with a way were this
advanced feature could be available to a newbie from the get-go.  There
is only one problem with it: it isn't advantageous to all workflows.  As
you admit that my workflow is just as valid as your own why should your
preferences overrule mine?

My solution is that this feature should be configurable, and the
following four (minimum) options should be available:

1). Enlarge with mouse over.  This is your preferred way and would also
be usable to those that only have the use of one hand and therefore
can't press the 'v key and move the mouse at the same time.

2). Enlarge with mouse over plus 'v'.  My preferred way as the feature
is there if you want it.  I would also argue that this should be the
default as it the way F-Spot currently works.

3). Enlarge with 'v' on current selection.  This is for users that have
motor problems and can't use a mouse at all.  I believe that your change
would greatly reduce the functionality of the tool for these kind of
users.  They maybe a very small part of the user base but they mustn't
be over looked, IMO.

4). Disabled.  For those that just don't want it at all.

Steve