Re: Display bigger version of a photo on a tooltip

Hello.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Steve Dobson
<steve dobson syscall org uk> wrote:
> David
>
>  I've moved this discussion back to the F-Spot mail list as that the best
>  place for it.

Good idea!

[...]
>  No.  As I said that to be consistent you'd have to show all the keyboard
>  shortcuts available,

Yes, you said this. But why are you saying this? As far as I understood
David, he did not suggest to show the keyboard shortcuts. I agree
with you, Steve, that showing the keyboard shortcuts in a pop-up would
not be a good idea

[...]
>  Tooltips should be small and unobtrusive.  The tips that pop up on when
>  you hover the mouse over the toolbar buttons are a perfect example.  If
>  your suggested image tip said "Press 'v' to see a large version" then
>  you going to get some users saying

That's not what he suggested. He suggested, that a bigger version
of the photo should be shown in the tooltip (see subject). And that
should be shown after the user hovered with the mouse pointer over
the image for some time.

>  Another good "discoverable" reason for not doing as you should suggest
>  is that other applications don't use tooptips this way.

That's not true. Konqueror (of KDE) behaves very much the way
David suggested, that f-spot should behave. (In case the sentence
is not understandable: I understand that David wants, that f-spot
behaves like Konqueror.)

>  Advanced users, and those that use F-Spot a lot, will soon learn the
>  short cuts.  Should these uses be bugged with helpful popups designed
>  just for the newbie?

He's not suggesting that (at least not as far I understood what
he wrote).

>  I think one must always weigh up the pros and cons of an idea.  Your
>  idea would certainly improve the discoverablity of the application but
>  would it do so at the expense of usability?

No, it would not. It would make the application more usable (ie.
a + on the usability side). Reason: It adds a useful feature without
disturbing users too much.

> I say it would, because the
>  purpose of the browser display is look at thumbnails of your photos and
>  have a popup appear over photos unbidden is a distractions.

It's not. It's a nice feature and a feature that you find in other
applications as well (cf. Konqueror).

Michael