Re: Display bigger version of a photo on a tooltip

Hi David

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 12:27 +0100, David Prieto wrote:
> > As I understand it what David is suggesting is not to zoom the current
> > image under the mouse but just that a little pop-up appears telling you
> > of all the keyboard short cuts (or just the one that are important).
>
> That's not the case. To clarify things I've added a mockup to the bug
> (I've preferred not to send it as an attachment), and you can see it
> here: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/attachment.cgi?id=107051&action=view
>
> The idea is, as I said, to have appear when the cursor remains immobile
> over a picture for a second, and have it disappear when it's moved out
> of that picture. The size is open to discussion.

Nice mock-up.

I have discovered that if you hold down the 'v' key you get, more or
less, the functionality you are suggesting.

Personally I like the 'v' key solution.  The functionally is just a
keypress away for when you need it and not there when you don't.

Granted that this is not as discoverable as your way, but then again it
allows the tool to be used in different ways.  Why should placing the
pointer over an image mean "display this one slightly bigger please"?  I
may want it to mean "this is currently my favourite of those I've
reviewed so far."

Your mock up clearly shows that what you intend would obscure images
around the current choice.  I therefore see your idea as an increase in
discountability at the cost of a reduction in functionality.  That's a
poor trade off in my book.

Steve