Re: [Evolution] Help me understand something please

On Tue, 2022-06-28 at 10:30 +0200, Milan Crha via evolution-list wrote:
On Mon, 2022-06-27 at 11:13 -0500, Tim McConnell via evolution-list
wrote:
Well I run dkpg -l | grep WebKitGTK and get libjavascriptcoregtk-
4.1-
0:amd64, I'm not sure if that's what your after.

        Hi,
I do not have a Debian machine handy. I think the WebKitGTK is called
libwebkit2gtk.... The libjavascriptcoregtk-4.1-0 is part of the
WebKitGTK, but what you pasted doesn't claim the version of the
package.

Hi Milan,

Sorry running the command and searching for that  package I get:
 dpkg -l |grep libwebkit2gtk
ii  libwebkit2gtk-4.0-37:amd64
2.36.3-1

And since you folks deal with all things GNOME, Is Webkit a Gnome 3
thing

No, the WebKitGTK is not a GNOME thing. It's a gtk+ widget, which can
show web pages. Anything what uses gtk+ can use it. Evolution is
using
gtk+ and it has a hard dependency on the WebKitGTK as well. It
doesn't
matter what desktop environment you use.

Try to install Epiphany, or even DevHelp, which both use WebKitGTK
too.
If they'll behave the same way, high CPU usage when opening a new tab
(both know it with Ctrl+T) and showing a page in it, then the problem
is somewhere under WebKitGTK. It can be your video drivers, maybe. A
common problem is with hardware acceleration, which is enabled by
default since WebKitGTK 2.36.x, if I'm not mistaken.

You can try to run Evolution (or the other apps) as:

   $ WEBKIT_DISABLE_COMPOSITING_MODE=1 WEBKIT_FORCE_SANDBOX=0 \
     evolution

Where do I put that? I tried it from a terminal and it caused a
traceback from the command not found program :-(

and see whether it'll help with anything. Note the Evolution 3.44.1
contains a change, which is supposed to disable compositing mode on
its
own.

Umm I'm on 3.44.2-1, I don't think it's working as advertised :-(