Re: [Evolution] Help me understand something please

Are you viewing them on the machine or via IMAP?

ALL my mail is IMAP - it makes using multiple machines much saner.

I'm in "On This
Computer -> Inbox" I'm on Debian Testing(Bookworm).

How does the mail get into the "On this computer" Inbox?  The reason I
ask is because normally local mail gets put into a system spool file
(i.e. /var/spool/mail/xxxx) and it is read from there. The Evolution
"On this Computer" mail is in a different place (and a different
format) so something that knows about Evolution must be actively
putting it there. (I'm just trying to explore possibilities where this
might be going wrong.)

 I'm sure if they
are being aggregated and mailed to somewhere else it acts differently.

No. I've just tried it and a locally stored version of a logwatch cron
job is identical to one that's sent to an imap server. logwatch just
sends things by email to whatever address you put in to the config file
(defaulting to root) - it doesn't know if that address is local or
remote especially when it is redirected using the aliases file.

If I run `groups` I get groups
tmick cdrom floppy sudo audio dip video plugdev input netdev bluetooth
lpadmin scanner
Are you suggesting I add my user to a "mail" group?

I'm not sure why you think someone has suggested that?

I've open bugs with Debian's Evolution team and with the webkitgtk team
and put in previous replies. However; for clarity, Debian Evolution Bug
1012817 bugs debian org  And Debian WebKitGTK bug
1012227 bugs debian org.

If you want the Evolution developers to help, then you need to open
reports in Gnome bug tracking - unless, of course, you think this is a
Debian specific bug.  The Evolution developers will not have access to
the Debian code base to fix things, nor can you really expect them to
deal with all the various distro specific bug handlers.

And since you folks deal with all things GNOME, Is Webkit a Gnome 3
thing or if I switch to MATE (or something GNOME 2 based) will it get
me away from WebKit? It's becoming my least favorite thing about
Gnome3.

Recent versions of Evolution will not run against Gnome2 libraries. You
will still need the Gnome3 ecosystem (including WebKit) to be able to
run Evolution.

P.