Re: [Evolution] Issue when changing default location of Evolution mail folder to another device

Hi Pete,

"Please don't top post on this list."

OK...

"And you learn the lesson of "don't do anything as root that doesn't need it"

Yes, absolutely !

"It would be preferential to use an NFS mount. But that has issues as well - file locking across NFS is an issue and performance/reliability depends to a large extent on the server side. I don't know what the underlying OS is on the synology NAS, but it would be worth investigating".

I tried to share via NFS today, but I had another issue here :
- user => access denied (permissions)
- root (just to test) => no problem
It seems this behavior is because the computer and the NAS have different uid and gid.
Tomorrow, I will modify values on the NAS, I hope it will fix.

"My general advice would be "don't do it". So, why are you wanting to put your Evo storage on a network filesystem? If it's purely for storage, then get yourself a bigger disk! "

It's for "transparent backup"; I am working without I need to backup manually :
- All data (I mean for all applications, including Evo) are stored on the NAS.
- Data are automatically backup on the NAS every night (multiples RAID)
- Plus backup on external support every month.

"If it's for backup, then I think the synology boxes can do SMTP & IMAP - use those to manage your mail, life will be saner!"

Yes Synology supports SMTP, IMAP, etc..., but how to access to the files ? I will check how it works ans if there any good Linux client.

Regards.
Karim