Re: [Evolution] Evolution discussion (Ubuntu) - Search results

I think you raise a good point. Probably some don't know how to find
the specific help and some are not sure what could be the problem &
therefore ask in a general forum of their OS.

Another issue could be that the evolution list does not show up in the
top 30 of the search results. I searched for "Evolution vertical view"
in Startpage and DuckDuckGo and the most helpful link would not be
shown in the first 30 results (and probably more):
https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2020-December/msg00048.html

But others like were shown:
https://help.gnome.org/users/evolution/stable/mail-vertical-view.html.en
https://www.reddit.com/r/gnome/comments/as8g77/evolution_mail_two_rows_in_vertical_view/
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1197409/evolution-vertical-view

The Help GNOME article is helpful but has not solved the problem and to
get from there to the Evolution mailing list is too long or that
obvious for most people, especially newbies.

The main reason nothing appears in a search is because no one has asked
(or answered) anything about vertical view on this list for many years.
But yes, the mailing list results are not very prominent.

Is there a way to bring the Evolution mailing into the search results?
Even when it is not clicked on much as it is a mailing list ...
I hope even newbies will be able to find this great and helpful mailing
list.

It really depends on how the pages are ranked by individual search
engines. I only really know Google, but you need a web page to make a
reference to the mailing list archive before the search engine will go
there; page ranking depends on how many places have links to it.
(Forgive me if you already know this)

An admin/owner of pages can tell Google to index their pages, but I'm
not convinced it makes much difference in rankings. Certainly no one
here has sufficient access to the archive website to do such a thing.

However, all the pages about Evolution on the Gnome wiki have links to
the mailing list; the internal Help within Evolution has links to the
mailing list. Yet still people ask questions on other forums.

P.