Re: [Evolution] [OT] Evolution setup

On Fri, 2020-08-21 at 01:33 +0200, Ángel wrote:
On 2020-08-20 at 22:24 +0100, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Thu, 2020-08-20 at 21:40 +0200, Ángel wrote:
you can easily browse through previous topics that might answer your
question, and so on.

And do people really do that? It also depends on what is considered

"easily", too.

I use the Search function to find old posts that I remember dealing
with some issue.

I was referring to new users coming to a new community.
You would hardly count as newcomer ;)

I phrased that wrong. What I meant was that I occasionally search for
issues which have been dealt with (not necessarily by me).

The "mailing lists are hard to browse" would probably be solved with
mailman3's hyperkitty, which gives a forum-feel to the archives.
I don't like that it tries to add things like "voting", though, as that
escapes the role of a mailing list.

Having seen HyperKitty deployed for the Fedora mailing lists, I dislike
it for a number of reasons, the main one being that almost no-one
remembers to quote context when replying.

So that leads to the opposite way: people using a mailing list from a
forum-like interface, and using that as a forum... not quoting previous
mails.

Exactly.

It may be possible to unify lists and web forums under one interface, but HK isn't it.

:(

If we end up having conflicts on the expectations on how people use a
mailing list vs how they use a forum, I'm afraid it may not be possible
at all.

That's my current thinking until proved otherwise.

poc