Re: [Evolution] [OT] Evolution setup

Could you not use "Reply-all" to the mailing list - using reply-all
means that copy is sent both to the mailing list and to me. The mailing
list sees I'm in the headers and doesn't send me a copy, so the only
one I get is sent directly from you and doesn't contain all the mailing
list headers and information, so *I* can't then use reply-to-list.
Please set Edit->Preferences->Composer Preferences->"Group reply goes
only to mailing list of possible".  Or if you don't want to do that,
Ctrl-L replies to the mailing list only.

Actually I don't subscribe to the cult of the cool. But the trouble
with email for this sort of use is it only really works if you are
following all the threads all the time.
It arrives willy nilly warts and all, which is fine if you are
continuously actively involved.

I don't understand this - all the forum posts, sorry not-a-forum posts,
arrive willy nilly the same as mail does?  Or are you saying you don't
use the mail reader to sort and thread your mail.  Mail at least has
the ability to have a tree of threads whereas a forum post is just a
linear time line of posts with no threading information.

as I was saying (incidentally why is my reply to this message not
word-wrapping when composing - lines are just going on forever in
both html and plain text mode - hopefully your client will be
wrapping the text)

HTML doesn't have a concept of line length.  A paragraph fills the
width of the page. That is not an Evolution issue, that is what HTML
does.

Plain text mode needs the format drop-down to be set to "Normal" to
wrap lines. "Preformat" is just that, it relies on you to format your
own text.

as I was saying again having hit [enter], the beauty of a forum is
that it puts you the user in control of what you see and when you see
it. You can ignore threads, or whole categories/sub-forums that don't
interest you, you can be notified when there is something for you in
particular, you can go away for a month and easily catch up when you
get back, you can easily browse through previous topics that might
answer your question, and so on.

And why can't you do that with mail?  I have mailboxes with 10s of
thousands of unread mails in them that I am successfully ignoring.

Different solutions for different folk, neither is right or wrong.
For me email is good for one to one conversation and ok for broadcast
one to many information, but pretty rubbish for many to many
discussion/sharing.

Strangely the mailing list format seems to have worked OK for this list
for 20 years ...

P.