Re: [Evolution] Emoticons appear in email subject line

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 13:48 +0100, Adam Hardy via evolution-list wrote:
I get the non-displayed emoticons appearing in the Message
Preview window when I open the email in its own window,

        Hi,
the content of that window, not its title bar, is drawn by WebKitGTK+.

Annoyingly I can't find the system font which Evolution uses in the
main app window for the message list and message preview.

It uses system font, unless said otherwise, in Edit->Preferences->
Mail Preferences->General tab->Message Display section. That influences
the fonts for the message preview.

Apart of the Flatpak offer, you can try to copy the text with Emoji
from the message preview to some other application, I do not know, say
gedit or some such simple text editor, to see whether it can show it or
not.

It can be that you do not have installed proper fonts, but in case of
the message preview itself it's more likely to be about WebKitGTK+
version, where, as I said earlier, was a bug of not showing at least
common Emoji-s properly (in black&white), or not dealing with
"composite" Emoji-s (which can be still there, even in the latest
stable version of WebKitGTK+, but I cannot tell for sure).
        Bye,
        Milan