[Evolution] Evolution LDAP Size Limitations

I am using Evolution for email at work.  I have it set up to use EWS and look up addresses using the GAL.  We use a separate LDAP server for storing user certificates.  There are thousands of user certs on the LDAP server and Evolution will find the correct cert if the user is within the first group of entries the LDAP server returns but the server is limited in it's return size limit so if the user is not within that size limit Evolution can't find the cert.

I have tried a similar setup using Thuderbird and it finds the user certs fine.  I believe Thunderbird uses LDAP paging so it does not hit the limit of the server returns but instead pages through the returns until the cert is found.  I saw a post from years ago talking about this and I was wondering if this was planned for Evolution in a future release.  I know it doesn't work on Evolution 3.36 included with Ubuntu 20.04.

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/evolution-list/2012-July/msg00114.html

I have tried a lot of different search filters but nothing returns the certificate being searched for.  If I bring up the address book and search the LDAP server for the user it does return a match and I can see in the 3.36 version that the search filter being sent is (| (mail=<emailaddress>) (userCerttificate=*)) when I do not set a search filter and when I do this default filter is still being included in the search so I wonder if this shouldn't be & instead of | for the default filter.

Any ideas on how to get this working?

    Buzz