[Evolution] Emoticons appear in email subject line

Hi All,
I haven't found anyone else having this problem but I have Evolution
installed on Mint to replace Thunderbird. Everything is going really
well so far, but there is one problem:

Emoticons in the subject are not displaying, neither in the folder list
nor in the window header when the email is open.

This isn't happening in Thunderbird (so I know they're existing
emoticons) but I searched around the settings and the internet and
can't find any fix.

This is Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 and Linux Mint 19.

Thanks
Adam