Re: [Evolution] Emoticons appear in email subject line

On Fri, 2020-04-03 at 12:10 +0100, Adam Hardy via evolution-list wrote:
This is Evolution 3.28.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 and Linux Mint 19.

Okay, so that's two years old software. Not much surprise it
doesn't
know the emojis. Even the latest WebKitGTK+ doesn't draw the new
"composite" emoji icons properly.

If you've free time, disk space and bandwidth, I'd suggest to try
the
latest Evolution (3.36.1, with the updated dependencies) from
Flathub.org. I believe it'll work properly, or at least better (+/-
"composite" emojis) there. Note it's only for testing, the Flatpak
version has its limitations, as it's an isolated sandbox, thus it
may
or may not work well for you.

Ah OK. Looks like Linux Mint 19 is quite a long way behind the curve
then. I'm new to Linux Mint as well and I want to see if it's easy to
configure it to get newer versions of something like Evolution. It
might only be possible to upgrade the whole distro but I'm hoping
it's
a bit more flexible.

Johannes talked about system fonts in another email.

My evolution is set to use UTF-8 already, the system is set to en_uk
UTF-8, and in my window manager settings, Liberation Sans Bold is set.
I assume all the fonts are UTF-8 based but none of them can display the
emoticons. I get the non-displayed emoticons appearing in the Message
Preview window when I open the email in its own window, so I guess that
points to a general problem with Linux Mint.

Annoyingly I can't find the system font which Evolution uses in the
main app window for the message list and message preview.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but I'll have to take this problem to Linux
Mint.

Thanks for the info.
Adam