Re: [Evolution] how to move mails and configs to a new machine

On Thu, 2016-03-24 at 11:02 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
On 03/24/2016 10:42 AM, Pete Biggs wrote:

I meant your Linux account.  But that's because you need to make sure
nothing is using the filesystem when you move the data around - but you
can't actually do this trick if the home belongs to root because you
can't move the data without being logged in as root.
There are a couple of methods to move data which will work. You can log
in using only a command-line shell on either the console or via SSH.
This will not start up the Gnome services and you can copy the data freely.

Sure, but you are still playing with a logged in user's home directory
- which may well be OK, but a user who uses root as a login account
might well have done something odd! It's just adds another level of
uncertainty.

You can also do it from a GUI if you guarantee that Evolution is shut
down. There used to be a killev command...

$ evolution --force-shutdown

OK, I just tried this and I have to say WTF? How does anyone do
Evolution development anymore? I killed the processes and they don't
stay dead. What if I wanted to run a newly compiled version with a
debugger or command line flags or environment variables? I have to hack
DBUS files now? That's insane.

Evolution itself doesn't restart, it's the backend processes. And it's
not Evo that's starting them - it's things like Gnome-calendar that
uses Evolution calendars as a source.  The way to deal with it if you
are doing dev work is to kill the old process and start the new process
in one command line - that way you start it before anything else has a
chance to.

P.