Re: [Evolution] Annoyance with "next message" order

On Fri, 2015-03-20 at 07:50 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
I'll follow up if/when I get any fresh detail.

Aha!  Interesting!  I just got it to happen again and noticed something
important.  I had a thread like this:

  --> Joe      v help with this        Today 00:57
      Bob          help with this      Today 02:43
      Joe        v help with this      Today 01:14
      Bob            help with this    Today 02:52

Remember I use an Ascending order so this is at the bottom of my mail
folder. Here the --> is my currently selected message and "v" is the
little arrow that lets me hide a sub-thread.

All messages except Joe's 00:57 message are unread.

In the above situation, I use C-d to delete the current message.  I
thought the problem was that the cursor then skipped the next message
but what happens is more subtle than that: the cursor does correctly go
to the next message in order, but then the MESSAGES ARE REORDERED so
that now I have a new message above (before) my cursor; after the delete
my folder looks like this:

      Joe        v help with this      Today 01:14
  --> Bob            help with this    Today 02:43
      Bob            help with this    Today 02:52

Here, Note how Evo did select Bob's message, as expected, but now that
is not the first message in the thread, because Evo has reordered the
messages by date, so Joe's second message is now the first one.  At this
point, I have one read message (Bob's 02:43 message) and two new
messages, Joe's message before and Bob's second message after.

If I C-d Bob's first message Evo will move me to Bob's second message.
The only way I can read Joe's second message at 01:14 is if I move there
explicitly.

I wonder if the bug here isn't in the original threading display.  If
we're really going to read things by date, but with threading, wouldn't
the correct order for the original threading be this:

  --> Joe      v help with this        Today 00:57
      Joe        v help with this      Today 01:14
      Bob            help with this    Today 02:52
      Bob          help with this      Today 02:43

?  That is, the next message in the thread after Joe's 00:57 message is
Joe's 01:14 message, so that should be next.  Then all replies to Joe's
01:14 message are after it, in a subthread.

Basically, shouldn't the algorithm be: find all messages which are
direct replies to this message and order them by date (or whatever order
the user chooses).  Then go through each message in that list and repeat
this algorithm.  When a message has no direct replies, go to its sibling
and try that.

No?

FYI this was with Evo 3.11.3 but I think I've seen similar things with
my 3.12.10 version.