Re: [Evolution] compile my own --- in addition to: Authentication Issues with Exchange Web Services

On Tue, 2015-06-09 at 18:18 +0200, Tom wrote:
I'm often noticed - particularly on this list, that my Evolution
packages are pretty old, even ancient (and here it's 3.2.3 as it came
with Precise and it will doggonit stay as long as Precise stays or
I'll find a safe way to do, what Emre Erenoglu does). But what is the
(Ubuntu) procedure for that ?

The important thing to understand is that Evolution is part of the GNOME
desktop.  Therefore it relies on GNOME for a lot of its operation.  And,
it requires a modern version of GNOME (in particular, no older than one
release back... so for Evolution 3.16.x that means you must have GNOME
3.14 or 3.16).

If your goal with staying back with Ubuntu 12.04 is to avoid GNOME 3,
then you're kind of out of luck.  The best you can do is build and
install Evolution AND good chunk of GNOME 3 in some non-standard
directory, then try to get Evo to run with it and live with the various
missing features and capabilities that come with not having a full GNOME
3 desktop.

This is something very few people are willing to do.