Re: [Evolution] Connecting to Carddav Server fails

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 09:05 +0100, DennisMail gmx net wrote:
Under each of these two dirs (in which I can change in Nautilus), I
see 2 more folders: "users" and "groups". But no matter if IÂm in
"addressbooks" or "principals", I cannot change into these 2 subdirs:
I get an "access denied" error. I guess this is a problem of the Mac
server, but I wonder how other clients (I am connecting both via a
iPhone and an Android-based phone to the carddav server) manage to
connect then. Do you see any explanation here that may help me to find
the difference between those clients and my linux system?

Listing all users on a system, as listing the content of "users" would
do, reveals confidential information and thus is probably disabled. Try
"users/<your username>".

There is a process for discovering the current user's address book(s),
based on well-known URLs that redirect to the right place. If the server
supports DNS SRV lookup, then you don't even need the base URL, just an
email address is enough. This is what the other clients are using. If
you are interested in the technical details, have a look at
WebDAVSource::findCollections() in WebDAVSource.cpp of the SyncEvolution
source code [1].

SyncEvolution 1.2.x (the stable releases) uses that to find the default
address book. Starting with SyncEvolution 1.3 (not released yet) it will
also be possible to list all address books or calendars via the command
line, like this:

syncevolution --print-databases \
              backend=carddav \
              syncURL=http(s)://<server>:<port> \
              username=<user> \
              password=<passord>

To see the actual requests, use
SYNCEVOLUTION_DEBUG=1 \
syncevolution --daemon=no \
              --print-databases \

If there is interest, then I can make a pre-release of that available.
Otherwise compile from the git repos.

[1] http://meego.gitorious.org/meego-middleware/syncevolution

--
Bye, Patrick Ohly