Re: [Evolution] Migrating Evolution

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 16:11 +0000, Steve T wrote:
On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 09:12 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 07:11 +0000, Steve T wrote:
As long as you copy everything while neither Evo nor Gconf are
running
(see the FAQ answer) then you should be OK. The first time the new
version of Evo runs on the new machine it will do any required
conversion.

poc

Patrick,
The 'migration' in this case was from FC9 to FC12 (on separate
laptops)
- the 'old' Evolution settings were 'Backed Up' via the Evolution
option
and that file was then used in the start up routine on the new laptop
import the setting etc (there was an option to import the data and
settings from a file).

That all ran fine and I now have what appears to be a fully working
Evolution running under FC12.

The only issues that I see so far are:
1) The 'search' folders seem very slow in updating the screen display.
It takes a while (Generating Message list) moving between one folder
and
the next.

Is this always the case, or only when visiting a folder for the first
time? If the latter, it could be the conversion to SQL that's taking the
time (I don't know if this happens "on demand" or just once when Evo
starts up).

It's all the time - both at startup (about 5+mins to have fully
processed the inbox), and then switching search folders after load can
be slow. I have quite a few 'search' folders and the length of time
taken to display the contents seems directly related to the complexity
of the search (ie number of criteria)

That could happen of course, for very complex searches.

2) The unread count in the folders is not always accurate. This seems
self correct when Evolution is closed down and restarted.

Known bug. I get it too. Very annoying. And it doesn't always go away
just by restarting Evo. Sometimes you have to unsubscribe the folder,
sometimes even disable the mail server and re-enable it.
So far it has been ok with just restarting Evolution. But it's not
major for me - a bigger problame that I've noticed is that the search
folders don't always honour the rules. A case in point is a search
folder that I have for the 'Last 24 Hours' where the rules are sent
after a day ago or received after a day ago. Under the 'new' version
that has been showing mails that are weeks old (that do not appear on
the 'old' version.

I don't use "Sent Date" for anything as it's unreliable (it depends on
the sender having a working clock). Have you tried Right-click Refresh
on this folder?

Also, you haven't said if you're using IMAP or POP. It might be
relevant.

I'm not reporting those two as issues per se - I'll check around over
the next few days to see what I can find.

PS Can you see where the 'indexes' etc are now held in mysql?

they are .db files under ~/.evolution/mail.

And does
that means that all the 'summary' files etc in the evolution folder
structure are now completely redundant?

No idea I'm afraid.

BTW if indexing seems slow you can run the following script (due to
Srini), after shutting down Evo completely (--force-shutdown):

        cd ~/.evolution/mail/
        for i in `find . -name folders.db`
                do
                echo "Rebuilding Table $i"
                sqlite3 $i "vacuum;"
        done

I've created a job from that. I tried it by shutting down Evolution,
then running the job (it showed the 'databases' being processed) - but
after restarting Evolution the speed was still the same. I'm not sure
whether  the speed problem is in table structure or in the
indexing/purging of the 'deleted' space.

I have just tried switching on the 'old' system to the 'worst' search
folder and that comes up in a couple of seconds - in the new version,
that's now in minutes.

Do you mean you have two parallel installations of Evo? I'm not sure how
that would work.

poc