Re: [Evolution] Migrating Evolution

On Tue, 2010-03-16 at 07:11 +0000, Steve T wrote:
As long as you copy everything while neither Evo nor Gconf are
running
(see the FAQ answer) then you should be OK. The first time the new
version of Evo runs on the new machine it will do any required
conversion.

poc

Patrick,
The 'migration' in this case was from FC9 to FC12 (on separate
laptops)
- the 'old' Evolution settings were 'Backed Up' via the Evolution
option
and that file was then used in the start up routine on the new laptop
import the setting etc (there was an option to import the data and
settings from a file).

That all ran fine and I now have what appears to be a fully working
Evolution running under FC12.

The only issues that I see so far are:
1) The 'search' folders seem very slow in updating the screen display.
It takes a while (Generating Message list) moving between one folder
and
the next.

Is this always the case, or only when visiting a folder for the first
time? If the latter, it could be the conversion to SQL that's taking the
time (I don't know if this happens "on demand" or just once when Evo
starts up).

2) The unread count in the folders is not always accurate. This seems
self correct when Evolution is closed down and restarted.

Known bug. I get it too. Very annoying. And it doesn't always go away
just by restarting Evo. Sometimes you have to unsubscribe the folder,
sometimes even disable the mail server and re-enable it.

I'm not reporting those two as issues per se - I'll check around over
the next few days to see what I can find.

PS Can you see where the 'indexes' etc are now held in mysql?

they are .db files under ~/.evolution/mail.

And does
that means that all the 'summary' files etc in the evolution folder
structure are now completely redundant?

No idea I'm afraid.

BTW if indexing seems slow you can run the following script (due to
Srini), after shutting down Evo completely (--force-shutdown):

        cd ~/.evolution/mail/
        for i in `find . -name folders.db`
                do
                echo "Rebuilding Table $i"